Pages

April 13, 2012

Day 65, 21st October 2011. San Diego, California

Alarm went off at 7.45am, I was so unbelievably tired, for the 4th night in a row I had hardly had any sleep. Totally worth it though because I had to make the most of being with my favourite people before we had to say goodbye very soon. Me and Gary were both still in shock and surprise over what had happened last night, and I couldn't stop thanking people.

Guess which one is our tent



Today we were going to the San Diego Zoo, and I was really excited about it because it is meant to be one of the best zoo's in the whole world. We also had the option to go to Sea World, but I thought we should go to the zoo because it was our only chance to go there and even though I love Sea World, we have been to the one in Orlando so many times. We left camp at 8.30am, it was quite a drive to the zoo, we got there at just after 9. It was $40 to get in, which I thought was a lot for a zoo, but I had high expectations so thought it must be worth it.

I got a Flamingo ticket, one of my favorite animals


More Flamingo's


The group of us that had gone to the zoo mainly stayed together for the whole day. Some people had gone to the city to look around and some had stayed at camp today. At the zoo with us was Kirsty, Nick, Steph, James, Lisa and Carlos. We got maps and started going in a circle around the zoo.











There's not really much to say about the day. It was a zoo, we walked around and saw animals. We stopped a few times to get some food, this is where one of the servers called Gary 'Jerry' and me and Steph were laughing about it for the rest of the day.
It was really nice to spend the day with the people that were there, it was so scary thinking we were going to have to say goodbye so soon, so it was nice to make the most of the it.

Sarcastic meerkat


Funniest part of the day. One of these giant tortoises was biting the other one, and the keeper kept screaming 'Emersonnn STOP IT' in a really funny way. Me and Gary still say it to each other now, it's like the biggest memory of that day.





Panda! By far the most exciting animal to see at the San Diego Zoo, it was so cute!




The zoo was really big, there was lots of walking around and turning back on yourself, there was a bus that went around the zoo but we just mainly walked.



Cutest little deer ever!


Polar Bear, he was lounging around in the sun







We finally got to see some bears after 9 weeks in the USA, in a zoo..


Koalas, 2nd most exciting thing we saw in the zoo, how cute is this one!!




Once we had seen all the animals it was about 3.30pm so we went on the Skyfari thing which was a cable car that goes around the zoo.



It was nice to get a birds eye view over the zoo, and also nice to sit down for a while. When we were done on that, we got a bus back to the park entrance and left the zoo. The zoo was nice, but it wasn't as grand or amazing as I had expected it to be, it was still a really lovely day though, and a very nice zoo.
We laid on benches outside the zoo playing games until we got picked up. Over the last week or so we had been playing a game where you pick a subject and say a name and then the person next has to pick another name starting with the last letter of the name you said. For some reason we ended up playing this loads.

We got picked up at 5pm and when we got back to camp I went to have a shower. When I got out I could see all the boys fussing around, it was because Dean had rented a car. I couldn't find Gary so figured that he had been excited about the car and had gone for a ride in it. (I was right).
I looked over at the tent and it was half sorted out, so the car must have distracted him, so I just carried on where he left off, and soon enough he was back and all excited about the car.


We finished tidying the tent and then got ready to go out for dinner because it was our last official night on Trek America (even though we would still all be together tomorrow night too). It was also time for us to get our left over food kitty money back. At the start of each part of the trip we had to pay a $10 a day food kitty to buy all the meals. At the end of Art's part of the tour we had loads of money left over and we all got about $40 back, which we were surprised about because we had eaten so much food. We thought because Mark had hardly supplied us with any food we would get loads back this time, ummmm, no. We got $12 each. I do not know what he spent all that money on because it certainly wasn't on food, I was not very happy with him (as usual).

Both groups were going out together for dinner, which was nice, until I found out that we were going for Taco's. We had eaten more than enough taco's on this trip and I didn't need any more. It wasn't even a restaraunt that we went to, it was like a fast food place. Gary and I went there in Dean's car because Gary wanted to ride in it again, and we met the groups there.Well anyway, the food was ok, but again there wasn't enough to go around. 

When we got back to camp, it would have been nice for us all to do something together, but a few people went out drinking, and some went to bed. The rest of us just all sat around camp, chatting and talking about what a crazy and fun 9 weeks it had been. I felt really sad that this was our last night at camp. Even though I had many problems with the camping side of the trip, I had grown to love and accept it and it felt horribly weird that we wouldn't be doing this any more. I was really glad that we had stayed around camp for the last night, and we had a lovely time with everyone that was there. There was also another Trek America group camping there as well so we chatted to them for a bit too.

Went to sleep quite late again, it felt so strange going to the tent to get my toothbrush and walking over to the bathrooms in the dark to brush my teeth for the last time. I felt so sad about it, and I cried to Gary when we got in the tent. I was dreading the end coming tomorrow, I knew it was going to be a day filled with tears :(

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe its almost the end! The zoo looks like fun! I always like going to see the animals :) I think Dean's car would have distracted me too hehe!! It's preeeeeetty!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been seeing commercials for that zoo for weeks and it's making me really want to go. $40 is a LOT, but it's the only zoo near us where we can see PANDAS! (So I guess it's worth it. :) )

    ReplyDelete