Pages

May 14, 2012

Day 92, 17th November 2011. Taupo - Waitomo, New Zealand


I woke up feeling really cold, quite early in the morning, and then realized, the hotel room door was open!! I don't know how it happened or how long it had been open. I was really scared for about 20 seconds until I remembered we were in New Zealand, and the likelihood of a crime being committed were way lower than what we are used to. I went to shut the door, after checking around the room thoroughly, then laid back in bed waiting for Gary to wake up.

Yesterday we had bought cereal and milk at the supermarket, so we had that for breakfast in the room. We also made ourselves some sandwiches and snacks for a little packed lunch so we could eat by the lake again. The room was really nice and I was sad to leave it, as it was so lovely. I would have liked to stay for another night, but we would have run out of things to do in Taupo.

We checked out of the room and drove into the center of town, and parked up to have a look around the shops. We wandered around for about 2 hours, its definitely a really nice area. We didn't really buy anything, apart from there was a store that had an underwear sale on, and I got loads of Elle Macpherson bras for really cheap, so I was then happy for the day.

Also saw this hilarious store, who needs Walmart when you can go to Woolmart LOL


Once we were done wandering around, we went down to the lakefront to eat our lunch, then made our way back to the place where Gary was going to do his bungy.




We just sat around for a while enjoying the scenery while Gary let his lunch go down before he did the jump





Then it was time!! I was really not happy about Gary doing this, it seemed way more dangerous and scary than the skydive. But he was adamant that he wanted to do it, he really tried to get me to do it, but there was no way it was happening.



When we went in, it all happened so quickly. There was nobody else there waiting, so as soon as we walked in the started getting Gary ready straight away. I didn't even really get a chance to prepare myself before they were leading him away from me.



Gary on the other hand didn't seem nervous at all




I barely had time to run back to the viewing point before he was about to jump. Luckily I made it back just in time to record it.


These next photos are stills from the DVD they took, which is why they are bad quality. 

About to jump...


Go..!



It was so scary watching, luckily he was fine and loved it. It was over so quickly though, it was such a short experience. The longest part was waiting for him to come back up. A boat went out to get him and then he had to walk for ages uphill to get back to me, so I was waiting for him for about 20 minutes wondering where he was. At times like this when I get bored I take photos of random stuff, e.g. my feet.


When Gary got back I was glad to see him and very proud of him. He had really enjoyed the experience so I was glad that he had done it.

It was then time for us to start the quite long drive to Waitomo. We got in the car and started driving, it was quite a boring drive really. After a few hours, we were driving along a countryside road when we saw a walking trail, and the Trek America influence on us made us decide we needed to stop to have a little explore.




It's funny, before we did Trek America, we would have never dreamed of just spontaneously getting out of the car and going for a walk, but now it felt like the normal thing to do. I'm so glad that it gave us such a sense of adventure. 







Once we were done with our little walk and had made our way back to the car, we still had a few hours drive ahead of us. There is not really much to say about it, it was really boring and we drove through some really tiny run down towns, which was the only kind of interesting thing.

We finally arrived in Waitomo in the late afternoon. We checked into our hotel room, which was ok, it was nice, but not as good as last night's one. After we had settled in and showered we went out to find some food. There were no restaraunts or supermarkets anywhere, so we didn't know what to do. That was the only problem with some places in New Zealand, there was just nothing around. 

Eventually, we had to give in and we went back to the hotel to eat dinner at the cafe there. The food was pretty terrible but it was the only food that there was. We then watched American X-Factor in bed for a while before falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment