Pages

January 21, 2012

Day 22, 8th September 2011. Yellowstone - Deadwood, South Dakota

Was a freezing morning again, I had to dig out the goves I'd bought in Walmart a few days ago to be able to take the tent down because the poles were so cold that you couldn't even touch them without freezing your hand off. We left at 7am this morning because we had a 8.5 hour drive today!

It was a really uneventful day, we drove all the way through Wyoming, which was cool because it was really Cowboy-ish. We were originally meant to be stopping for a night in Wyoming to see a Cowboy Rodeo, but at the time of the year we were there it wasn't on, or something like that, so we were just driving through to get to South Dakota.

We got to our camp in Deadwood, South Dakota at 4.15pm, we were so glad to be out of the van finally. The campsite was a really nice one, Gary and I set our tent up on a little flat hill and the grass was really soft.
We all went straight to the laundry room becausewe had more laundry to do. I didn't really like ever having washing to do so I was kind of obsessed with doing laundry because I always wanted to have my clothes clean if there was something in particular I wanted to wear, plus I always wanted to wash my towels.


The campsite, the only problem was the bathrooms and stuff were quite a walk from where our tents were


While we were doing laundry we all charged our phones/cameras. It was always a problem wondering when we would be able to charge things. It was fine when we were in hotels as we would charge everthing overnight. When we were camping, there was most of the time electricity in the bathrooms so I would charge my phone while I was showering/brushing my teeth even if it was only for 5 minutes. Sometimes there were these little electricity poles near our tents where we could plug stuff in, and we had a car charger in the van so only one person could do it at a time. So when we did laundry we usually made the most of being able to charge everything for a while. It's funny because at home I charge my iphone every night, all night, and at the end of the day it's nearly ut of battery, but when we were in the USA I kept it on airplane mode apart from when I was making a call, and even if I listened to my music for hours on end in the van, it still would lastfor a few days.

Back to the day, we were doing laundry and had showers. Plus we made the most of the wifi because we hadn't had it for ages so we all went on facebook and Kirsty was watching Home and Away on her ipad because she was trying to catch up with it so she wouldn't have loads to watch when she got home. We waled back over to the tents for dinner which I didn't like at all. It was some beef thing, which I hate, so I ate a kit kat in the tent for dinner.

After, I went to get the laundry from the dryer and we sorted it all out, and the got ready because we were going out tonight.

We got a trolley into the main town which only cost $1, and we went to a place called Sallon no.10. It was such a fun place because the whole town was like a total Wild West Cowboy town, like the Hotel Cheyenne in Disneyland Paris, but real!!





Saloon no.10 is where legendary Cowboy Wild Bill Hickok was shot and killed in 1876, and they still have the chair on display that he was sitting in at the time. There was lots of cool stuff on the walls like animal heads and other old things.






It was quite a crazy night. Shannon and Kirsty bought me my first ever jagerbomb and made me drink it. We all got really drunk, Kirsty ended up being really sick, but I was just happy drunk. We had loads of vodka, cranberry and sprite's as these were our new favourite drink.










There was a band playing country music so all the girls danced for a while, then I started drinking water at some point in the night because I'd had so much alcohol. Kirsty was in the bathroom being sick and Caroline was looking after her. There were loads of locals there that were total real cowboys/cowgirls, so it was a really fun place to go, they were really friendly, it was such a good night.



Justine's Eeyore enjoying a night out in Deadwood


We left at about 11.30pm because me and Gary were really tired, and Kirsty was still really sick so she needed to go back, we got a cab back with Art.



No comments:

Post a Comment