Pages

March 07, 2012

Day 39, 25th September 2011. Key West, Florida

Woke up this morning because I could hear Gary talking outside the tent, thats when I realised he had slept outside all night. It was still quite early so me and Gary sat on the dock with our feet in the water ad just enjoyed the scenery of the campround. Key West was so beautiful, I was so happy to be there. It was so nice to just get out of the tent and be right on the water.

We had 2 whole free days in Key West to explore. We had the option to do a watersports day today, which we really wanted to do, but couldn't because of Gary's foot. He was really upset that we couldn't do it, but it wasn't the end of the world. At about 10am we got the bus into the town. Key West is the southernmost part of the United States so it is quite a popular tourist place.






Manatee mailbox!!





We walked down to the southernmost point of the USA.


Gary wanted to rent a scooter to get around on for the day. I didn't really want to because it seemed like a waste of money, but because his foot was hurting I agreed. It actually ended up being a really good wy to get around and was really fun. This was the first time on Trek America that we actually felt like we were on holiday because it was so hot and we had free time to just relax.

We drove around for a while on the scooter and ended up driving half way around the island. We then drove back to the main bit so we could go to the beach. We went to Smathers beach first, which was a really nice quiet beach, but the sea was really slimy and had loads of sea weed in it.






We sunbathed there for a while and then got some hot dogs for lunch from a stand just off the beach and also got a blue slush puppy





We then drove our scooter down to the next beach, Higgs beach. This beach had much nicer sea than Smathers beach but it was really shallow. When we got there, James, Zoe and Milke from the other group were there, so we laid with them in the sun for a while and did go in the sea for a bit but it was just annoying that it was so shallow. I went out so far and the water was still only up to my waist. There was a doggie section on the beach and we saw loads of cute puppies there. There was a really tiny dog that was barking at Gary loads.






After we had enough of sunbathing we scootered back to the main street to have a look around and get some food. We parked the scooter then I saw a place that did hair wraps and I'd been looking for a place to get one for ages so I was really happy to finally get one done It was so weird, the lady who did it was from Chingford, even though she had lived in the Florida for years. When my hair wrap was done we walked around the shops and Gary got some hangover tshirts that were really funny.

We went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner. The food as usual was really good, and I was happy because I had potato skins again. Gary had a steak.





After we had eaten we had to take the scooter back to the rental shop before getting the bus back to camp. After we had given the scooter back I went in a shop and saw a really pretty dress that I wanted. When I tried to pay for it my card wasnt working so I used Gary's. When we were sitting at the bus stop I went on the internet to check my bank account and saw that all the money had been stolen out of my account. Tried to ring the FairFX people but it was late at night in the UK so I couldn't get though to them.

Of course I was SO angry about this. I don't want to go on and on about it here because it upset me enough at the time, but it eventually got sorted and I got my money back, but it was just the inconvenience of it all that bothered me more. When we got back to camp me and Gary had to go through all our banking stuff and figure out when/where my card had been cloned and where it had been used.

We were supposed to be going out but we couldn't because we were sorting all that stuff out, and then it started thunderstorming really badly so we just sat in this undercover gameroom thing and couldn't really leave because it was raining so much. I was only wearing my bikini and got quite cold but we didn't want to go back to the tent because we would get soaked in the process. There was a TV in there and we had internet on our phones so we kept ourselves busy.



We had to go back to the tent at about 11pm I think because the game room shut. Luckily Dean and Nick had also rented a scooter and they had paid to keep theirs overnight so we were using that to get around camp so we didn't have to walk in the rain. Still got soaked though, went straight to sleep as soon as we got in the tent. This had started out as a really good day, and funnily enough, about 2 minutes before I found out my money had been stolen, Gary was saying that it was the best day ever. It still was a really good day that was just ruined by that horrible bastard that thinks it's ok to steal someones money. I literally would have killed them if I could have.


No comments:

Post a Comment