Pages

March 10, 2012

Day 46, 2nd October 2011. New Orleans - Lake Charles, Louisiana

We didn't have to leave until 10am this morning, so when I woke up quite early I sat in bed and read loads more of Catching Fire on my iPhone. We got the hotels free breakfast again, had waffles which were really nice, we had a long drive day ahead of us today so we ate as much as we could.

When we met the rest of the group we couldn't wait to show them our tattoos. We knew that some people would dissapprove so we were kind of excited to see their reactions. Some people (the cool ones haha) really liked them and said they wished they would have done something like that too, while others didn't hide the fact that they thought our tattoos were dumb and a mistake. I totally knew some of them would react like that so we thought it was really funny.

We drove for about an hour before we reached a place where we were going to be going on a swamp tour. The place was called Honey Island and it was a proper bayou like in Princess and the Frog. The first thing me and Gary did when we got there was make some kind of bandages to cover our tattoos, because somebody at the tatto shop last night had told us to stay away from the swampy areas while they were healing. We had some tissues and stuck them on our wrists with tape, so it kind of worked.

Kirsty didn't want to do the swamp tour so she went to the supermarket with Mark while the rest of us went out on the boat.







I really enjoyed the trip. It was pretty similar to an Everglades tour in Florida but there was much more scenery. I really did feel like singing frogs and gators were going to jump out at us any second.




The first gator we saw



He had such a cute little face, I love gators!





A snake that Gary nearly fell out of the boat trying to take a photo of.



This poor little turtle had been bitten by a gator :(







When we were finished with the boat trip, we ate lunch in the parking lot, which again  I didn't eat any of because there was nothing nice to eat. I don't know why there was never any white bread or normal things to put in it. uughhh.
We got on the road again and the drive to camp was a loooong one. My back was hurting again an I was feeling a bit grumpy because I was hungry. I kept myself happy by reading more of Catching Fire on my iPhone, but I couldn't read too much because I didn't want it to run out of battery. So then I tried to have a little bit of a sleep.

At about 6.30pm we stopped at a Walmart, yay! I miss Walmart so much, I actually really love shopping there, its unbeleivable how cheap stuff is. I say to Gary everytime we buy anything at home 'It would be cheaper in Walmart' haha. While we were there I bought the Catching Fire and Mockingjay books finally, I was getting really fed up of reading on my phone. Also bought a few more bits and peices, could never come out of Walmart with at least a few bags of Sour Patch Kids and Salt and Vinegar Lays Potato Chips, I pretty much lived on Sour Patch, Lays and Mini Reeses peanut butter cups for a while.

There was a McDonalds in there so Gary got some chicken nuggets and I got an oreo McFlurry. We were quite close to camp by this time so it didn't take us much longer to reach it. It was getting dark by the time we got there so we had to set up our tents as quickly as we could. The campsite had some quite nice scenery going on.


I went to go to have a shower to find out that there was none. I had a little meltdown at this point because I'd had enough of camping. It was a really basic campsite and I felt all dirty after the swamp tour, I felt so sad that I couldn't wash my hair. That seems like such a silly girlish complaint but I was just feeling really moany. I just wished we could stay in hotels the whole time.

There were 3 geese wandering around the tents and they were really funny. From inside the tent you could see their shadows walking around. When we all sat at the table to eat dinner they just stared at us the whole time and kept quacking. We thought they were hungry so threw them some food but they didn't want it. Me and Kirsty had to wash up and they kept circling us and qucking while we were doing it, they were cute and funny but a little bit annoying. Kirsty was clanging pots and pans in their faces to try and get them to go away but tit didn't even bother them. It was so funny, Kirsty was so angry with them and even tried to kick them and they just kept coming back. They didn't want any food at all, so I can only assume they just liked company.

Just as we finished washing up and wanted to relax, Mark told us that he had got us to set up our tents in the wrong area and that we had to move them. It was now totally dark and there were loads of insects around that kept biting us. We had to move our tents about 100ft away and it was so difficult, I was not happy. It was really awkward to move the tents because the geese were running around at our feet, they followed us all the way to the new camp.


Once we had set up our tents in the new location we just went straight to bed because there was nothing to do around camp and we were tired. I woke up after about half an hour because I remembered we had left our flip flops outside and was worried that raccoons would get them. (There were signs around saying not to leave things out because of raccoons, I didn't just randomly thing that raccoons would take them)


No comments:

Post a Comment