Pages

March 11, 2012

Day 50, 6th October 2011. Carlsbad Caverns - Santa Fe, New Mexico

We left at 7.30am this morning and it was a really short drive to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. We got there before the actual caverns opened so we just looked around and went in the gift shop for a while.








Carlsbad Caverns is an underground cave that you can walk through. It was really cool, but I didn't get many good photos because it was so dark. It was a downhill walk for about an hour and then you got an elevator up at the other end. There were loads of crazily shaped rocks and spires. They were called Stalagmites and Stalagnites. We got seperated from Kirsty and Leah because Gary was being slow, but about half way down me and Gary met Dean and walked through with him.














When we got back up we still had to wait a while for the rest of the group so we got a cookie to eat and just sat in the gift shop area and chatted with the people that had got it done quicker.

When everyone was back we got in the van and drove for another few hours and then we arrived in Roswell! I was so excited, I totally believe in aliens so this was a place I was so hppy to visit. I wanted to go in the museum but Mark told us all it was really expensive so no one else wanted to so I couldn't. We still had a walk around the town for about 5 minutes and took photos. (I found out a few days later that the other group had been in and it only cost like $5, I was SO angry with Mark)










We then went to eat lunch, it was only a 5 minute drive away so we could have stayed in Roswell and I could have gone to the museum (I feel like I will never get over this, I feel like I was robbed). We had lunch a  zoo, it was so strange and a really unhygenic place to eat lunch. The zoo was awful, it was so dirty and I just wanted to go around setting all the animals free. There were birds in tiny enclosures, and a bear and some mountain lion that didn't even have any grass in their cages. I felt so sad for them.



Cute little Deer, wanted to take him home with me! Poor baby had loads of chickens in the same pen and they kept pecking him.


Had another few hours drive ahead of us, I finished reading Mockingjay. I was really pleased with the ending of the books but I was sad that I'd finished them because it was such a good story. We were driving on Route 66, and stopped at a massive gas station/gift shop and bought lots of Route 66 souveneirs. They had loads of Minnetonka boots there and I wanted to buy some but thought I shouldn't as they were expensive. I ended up ordering a pair online when we got home so I should have just bought them then.

We got to Santa Fe at about 5.30pm. We drove past a KOA on the way to camp, only for me to be dissapointed that we weren't staying there. The campground we were staying at was one of the worst so far. We would have had better facilities if we had camped on the side of the road. I can't understand why anyone would make us stay at this place when there was a KOA so close by.

By the time we had got our tents up it was getting dark so we had to go straight out. Mark had bought no foo for dinner so we were going to a restaraunt, so I was happy about that. We drove into the town and had a look around and did some sightseeing. Santa Fe seemed nice but most of the stuff was closed as it was getting late, so we didn't get to see as much as I'd hoped.







Mark drove us to a place where he wanted us to have dinner, it was too busy. Then we drove back the other way to where we had just been to find somewhere else. Basically he made us walk all around Santa Fe in the dark and cold for an hour because he didn't know anywhere we could eat, we were all starving Finally, someone directed us to a place called the Blue Corn Cafe that had a big table for us so we went there. It was a Mexican restaraunt and the food was so good. I had fajitas and they were the best ones I've ever eaten, I enjoyed them so much. We had chocolate cakes for dessert too.

After dinner we were all too cold and tired to do anything so we just went back to our tents and went to bed. It was so cold, I was all snuggled up in my sleeping bag with the liner in it and a blanket on top. Gary thought he would be fine with just a blanket on him and he woke up really cold in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment