Pages

March 10, 2012

Day 48, 4th October 2011. San Antonio, Texas

Didn't have to be up by a certain time today which was nice. Had a little bit of a lay in, it was so nice not to be woken up by an alarm. At about 10am Mark drove us into the city. There is a Sea World in San Antonio that I was really tempted to go to, but we would have had to get a taxi all the way there and it would have been expensive so we just decided not to go. Sorry Shamu, I miss you :(

Kirsty was going to buy some Cowboy boots today so we got dropped off slightly outside town so she could go to the shop that she wanted to. Kirsty had been waiting to buy these for ages so she was really excited to get them.


The store was really big, they had so much cowboy stuff in there, boots, hats and clothes. They didn't have the exact boots that Kirsty wanted (Tony Lama's) but she tried a few pairs on and picked out a pair that were really nice. I really liked them too and in the moment I wanted to get a pair, but I knew I'd never wear them and also they were really expensive. Kirsty was willing to pay loads of money for them but I knew I couldn't afford that. Luckily for Kirsty, the pair she ended up getting were a lot cheaper thanthe ones she originally wanted, so she saved some money (that got spent later on in the day). The store rang a taxi for us as we were leaving so we could go downtown.

Kirsty in her beautiful new boots


The taxi dropped us off at the Alamo so we took a few more photos there in the daylight.


Opposite the Alamo there was loads of shops and stuff so we had a little look around.



Gary saw a sign for a 'mirror maze' and of course wanted to go in there. I didn't really want to because I didn't think it would be that good, but he was so excited about it and it was only $10 each so we decided to go and have a look. It's basically a maze where all the walls are made of mirrors, it's dark in there and just has a few lights that are constantly changing colour.




It was so difficult and confusing. You literally have no idea where you are going and keep walking into the walls. It sounded silly at first but it was so much fun I'm so glad we did it. We all went through once and it took us a while to get out. The walls move and there are doors that spin around so it's so easy to get confused and lost. Because of the way all the mirrors reflect, you think someone is in front of you but they are actually in a completely different place.
When we had finished the lady that worked there let us go through again because it was so quiet, but this time she gave us 3D glasses to wear. The glasses made it even harder because everything was blurred and all you could see was multicolored lights flashing everywhere. Gary and Kirsty got through it but I got totally stuck and lost. I had to take my glasses off or I would have been stuck in there all day. Gary and Kirsty were outside watching me on a moitor as there was no one else in there, just me. It took me forever to get out, it was really freaky being stuck in there on my own.


When we were finished there, we just walked around the city a bit and went in shops. There was so much stuff I wanted to buy. Me and Kirsty got Texas tshirts and various other things. San Antonio is quite close to Mexico so there is alot of Mexican inspired stuff there which I love, I wanted to buy so many things.





We went to a Mexican Market, which was so cool. I loved it and wanted to buy everything that I saw. They had so many skull themed things. The only thing I ended up buying there was a picture to hang on our wall that is a skeleton bride and groom, which was only $15. I love it so much. I looked around in there for a while, it was really nice because I felt that I couldn't shop or look around in the markets when we had been in Mexico in 2010 because they were always hassling you to buy stuff.









I'd fill an entire house with these kind of things if I could (I know, I have really weird taste), I don't know why but I just love Mexican skull themed things. After we were done there, we walkedback towards the Riverwalk to get something to eat.





They had a Rainforest Cafe so of course that is where we went. We hadn't had a Rainforest since San Francisco so I really felt like I needed one. Me and Gary had our usual Blue Mountain Chicken Sandwiches and they were especially amazing after the lack of food for he past 2 days. I can't remember what Kirsty had to eat. We were planning on getting a Volcano for dessert but all felt to full after we had eaten to get one. Every time we are in the Rainforest I say we are going to get one then always end up to full for it.




On the way out of the Rainforest, we saw some of the other group, who told us that there was a shopping center round the corner. Of course Kirsty had to go, and she is such a bad influence on me, we both ended up doing some shopping. We have really similar taste in clothes and both bought this really nice cream lacy top in American Eagle. I also got some shoes, and Kirsty bought quite a few things, including some cute shorts.







After we had finished shopping, we started walking back towards where we needed to get the bus back to camp. San Antonio is such a nice city, I really loved it and it is definitely quite high on the list of places that I want to live. I could really imagine me and Gary living there (not like it will ever happen, but I'd really love it to).




While we waited for the bus, a weird guy started talking to Kirsty, and of course when our bus came along, he was getting on the same bus. He kept talking to us the whole way back, I'm sure he meant well, he was just a bit creepy. He kept telling Kirsty how beautiful she was, even though he couldn't pronounce her name and was acting like it was the most unusual name he had ever heard.

When we got to camp I had a lovely long shower in the beautiful clean nice showers that I was in love with, then painted my nails while we waited for dinner. Mark and Kait did a BBQ for dinner and it was real nice, it was just a shame there wasn't enough to go around. There was enough for a few ribs per person, one bit of corn on the cob and a bit of salad. After dinner, Mark and Kait talked to us as a group about the rest of the trip and where we would be going when (seeing as we still didn't have a copy of the itinerary).

Gary then went to have a shower while I started tidying our tent which was really messy after all the stuff we had bought today. Kirsty came and sat in the tent with me and we just chatted until Gary came back. Then we all just went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment